Monday, February 14, 2011

Modular Terrain

Finally! After lots of sweat, effort and frustrations form the last month, and of curse with the help of my lovely assistant Talty, my first terrain is done!


Indeed my Blood Knights look comfortable on it, and the should! lets give it a review:

Well, lets see, I started this project with many ideas on mind; we've all seen gorgeous terrain pieces or full gaming tables, some full of detail and awesome features, we found em on solid tables, others are just some fabric-like base, and others come on modular pieces like GW's. And most of em as awesome they look, as pricey they seem to be!

So with that in mind I researched various techniques and ideas to make low cost- high end terrain, even then I must say, I lastly relied on my own experience and available materials.

As stated above, I like the modular table's idea from GW, I'm all pro modular stuff (coming soon my magnetized dread) it gives enough freedom and variety, with the very important feature of portability. So i went for that on my terrain and after analyzing GW's i came out with a basic plan: Simple square flat surfaces, with some Styrene terrain features, that matches on different positions.

I tried various materials, and after some disasters I got some hard cardboard for the flat surface and the expanded Polystyrene matched nice on my low cost idea.

I ended up reinforcing the structure and after some coats of PVA, Sand, Paint and Flock, the first of 6 Pieces was completed.


Long story short, it was a success, and shortly after the 1st one I worked on the 2nd module. The thing here is to consider the terrain feature, as Gw's its supposed to be a 4 pieces mountain, matching on the center.



So, after weeks of planning and working, and under $20 USD worth of materials I have two 60x60 cm (2x2 ft) modular panels, perfect for 500 or less points WH Skirmishes.

So the only thing it needs now its some hills, forests and ruins. So I rushed and build a few



So after just some hours of inspired working I ended with enough terrain to fit on my modular half table.

Sadly for now, I ran out of paint and flock to continue the rest of the panels, also I have to figure out the storing issue before I end up with more I (or my GF :D) can handle.

Anyway, tnx for reading, if asked I'll make a tutorial, but only if there's feedback!!! For now Enjoy some more Pics!



Waiting for your comments!





1 comment:

  1. Great looking terrain for cardboard material. My only concern is that a couple of the pieces are too small and won't contribute much to an actual game, besides being an unnecessary nuisance. More solid line-of-sight blocking is required, I think.
    Also, pieces that control LoS would help make for a more playable board. For example, that cubed building you have, cover up two opposing sides, but leave the other two open so LoS can be drawn through them.
    For 40K, I firmly believe bigger terrain is better.

    ReplyDelete